The picture speaks louder than words!

Look at this picture right here….doesn’t it say it all? Yes indeed!! My caption to this picture would be: “A woman taking centre stage, while corporate honchos keenly and attentively listen to her.” Perhaps, my caption would look different, if this was something that occurred like almost everyday in the business world….Sad but true, it isn’t this way always.
I picked-up the newspaper this Sunday morning, to hit upon an article on the front page, carrying details of US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton’s visit to Mumbai. Before actually getting into reading those details, the picture which supported the article was quite impressive and was the first thing that caught my attention.
Woman on Top
Let me clear the air first, I am no Feminist and not a member of any Mahila Sangh (a group which fights for the right of women), but yes I believe, that women can reach for the stars, if the corporate world gives the talented “her” to lead from the front.
Its not that there are no women in India or in the world, who have proved their metal. Yes, we see that in practice too. But the sad thing is only a small percentage of women are actually holding those top and aspiring positions in the corporate world today. What is the reason for this tiny estimate…..is the big question mark? I don’t want to get into my judgment on this or what I thing about it…..it’s really not important!!
I simply believe in equality of all humankind. Man or Woman, you need to have a set of common rules and regulations for both the sexes…and this is not something I say because I am a woman. It is because we are human first.
An ambitious her
Ask a young girl in school, what she wants to do when she grows-up and you’ll get an instinctive reply, saying I want to fly aircrafts, I want to become an Astronaut, I want to become an Architect, I want to become a Journalist, I want to become the no. 1 tennis player in the world, I want to become the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, I want to become a civil servant, and there are some who are even passionate about doing social service. She is very very ambitious!
What happens next is not destiny, but it is the opportunities that she grabs and the support that she gets during her journey in life. It is good to see, how organisations are encouraging women to take-up top positions and supporting them all through their journey. It is a positive sign for sure.
Social Responsibility
It is also our social responsibility to build on awareness, of the need of education for children, both the boy and the girl. In the rural areas of India, there is a lot of differentiation between the sexes, even today. The notion is still primitive. Besides, it is still believed that the girl child doesn’t need to be educated, because ultimately, she is not going to earn bread for the family. We need to change this mindset completely. Education is not about preparing oneself to make money; it is about developing the right attitude, personality, perspective towards life, approach, and being- aware of your surroundings, that education carries with it.
So, Do what you want to do, Be what you want to be. And remember, if need arise, bend the rules…but don’t break it;-)
Thanks for visiting my blog. Do write to me with your reactions, opinions or critical comments at simplymearl@live.com or leave your inputs in the comments tab below.
Before I sign out, as I always say take very good care of yourself and God Bless!
Stick around, because life is beautiful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salutations to Whistleblowers in today's vicious world

Go lush green…Go Mahabaleshwar

Paul Almighty