A few years back, when I auditioned to become a ‘Cricket Commentator’

I know it is a little hard to believe that I did it, but yes it is a truth and nothing but the truth that I auditioned to become a ‘Cricket Commentator’ for ESPN Sports.

I will not bore you to death to know the climax of this story and so I have decided to tell you whether I made in the finals or not. I made it to the first two rounds of the audition which was judged by 3 panelists. Two of the panelists were very-well-known cricketers Mr. Wasim Akhram from Pakistan and Mr. Ravi Shastri from India and the third judge was the Page 3 and Bollywood personality Ms. Perizaad Zorabian.

At the second and final round, I faltered and hence couldn’t make it to the finale, in which short-listed participants from each city would compete. But believe me, it was an experience of a life-time.

A nail-biting selection process
The first round was simple where the judges were basically looking for that perfect diction, the right attitude and upbeat behavior of the participants. During this round, a full screen slim monitor with a cricket match projection was presented to us. Each participant was then made to give a running commentary for a mere 2mins. I simply cannot give you a self-evaluation here but the panelists were pretty impressed and they called me for the second round scheduled the very next day.

Everything going-bravo until here, I moved to the second round – all unprepared. The main aim of this round was to judge the screen presence of the participant and also to judge the technical cricket knowledge he/she had about the game. Without saying - to be a good Commentator, it is very important to be technically sound with a game. Although I got a thumbs-up for my screen presence, the technicality of the game is where I ******* up ;-).

The entire audition process was recorded by ESPN Sports and then telecasted on-air- 2 weeks later.

My experience
It was an enriching experience – something that I will never forget. The panelist offcourse told me that I would be a very good anchor/ presenter, if I speak in a subject of my relevance like current issues, offbeat topics, music, movies, et al.

I remember of taking 2 casual day off from office, to be a part of this big event called “Harsha Ki Khoj” initiated by ESPN Sports. In another 2 weeks time when the show was telecasted on ESPN sports, I received an unexpected email from my colleague from our Bangalore office, actually telling me that he was happy to see me on television but hard-luck. My initial reaction was like what the hell was that! Did he actually see me???

Then came a few of my friends and people in the neighborhood, who happened to see me on television and actually asked me the same damn thing. This was a whole big secret- I actually didn’t tell anyone that I was going to do something so strange, but in-the-end got caught.

Thanks for visiting my blog, hope you are enjoying reading it! Do write to me with your reactions, opinions or critical comments at simplymearl@live.com or leave your inputs in the comments tab below.

Before I sign out, as I always say take very good care of yourself and God Bless!

Stick around, because life is beautiful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salutations to Whistleblowers in today's vicious world

Go lush green…Go Mahabaleshwar

Paul Almighty