People driving around in Mumbai should be awarded an Oscar’s…..

Mumbai…Mumbai…..Mumbai, a city that never sleeps, a city whose roads are always buzzing with traffic honks (at times, you cannot even hear yourself), a city suffering from chaotic traffic…….but even with all this, Mumbai is a city that rocks….there is no other place in India like Mumbai!!!!

Ask any Mumbaite (the guys/ gals born and brought up here) to live in any other city/ metro/ town in India, the answer would be NA NA. If you ask me, I will definitely give you the same answer.

Well I can survive in a place outside Mumbai for maybe 5-6 days or maybe 15 days maximum but beyond that, I tend to get nostalgic. I tried to figure out what is it that makes me like this city so much……but I never really found a concrete answer.

Okay now, before I get carried over further, talking passionately about Mumbai, let me get to the point on why my blog article carries the title “People driving around in Mumbai should be awarded an Oscar’s”.

It’s been 9 months since I have been driving around on Mumbai roads and I want to say that one needs to drive in Mumbai, like people out there are trying to kill you.…..let me explain that!

Driving around on Mumbai roads during peak hours i.e. the mornings after 8 a.m and evenings after 5p.m, you will exactly understand what I am trying to say. At this prime time, you will see roads cluttered with cars, buses, tractors, dumpers, 2 wheeler bikes, cycles, auto rickshaws, vans, and yeah, how can I forget mentioning the million people walking on same roads.

The bus drivers feel that they own the roads…you dare try to take over or don’t move aside to allow them pass by, you had it badly…….leading you to frustration, anger and embarrassment. I have taken a pledge, that if I see a bus in close vicinity, I will make way for it to go by...…….and maybe in the bargain, even salute the bus driver for his rash driving skills….

The other set of irritant drivers are the two wheeler motorbikers. God!!!, these guys pop up from the right and left sides and simply zoom brushing against your vehicle……Rather than fuming at these bikers, I pity them for putting their lives at such big risks just to enjoy a little bit of pleasure of racing and enjoy some fresh air..…just need to tell all you bikers out there, Don't put your life on the line. Think safety first!

I remember the guy who thought me to drive…..always told me that if you can drive in Mumbai, you will be able to drive anywhere in the world. Yeah, it is a kind of a great experience driving in and around Mumbai but that’s only if you are an occasional driver and have to drive a short distance.

My heart goes out to those thousands of people who have to drive across the same roads everyday and who drive long distance. It can actually be frustrating at times, especially when you don’t have good company…it gets even more boring!! While for those of you who do not drive, you too are missing out on this experience....so come join the gang, this is an invitation!

Would have to wind up here…but before doing that let me leave you with these sayings, “Safety can distinguish you. Lack of safety can extinguish you”, “Safety gear -- 2 minutes ... Risk assessment -- 5 minutes ... A mishap that takes a life -- forever.”

So Don't put your life on the line. Think safety!!!

Until my next article, take very good care of yourself, God bless and Drive safe!!!

You can write to me at simplymearl@live.com or simply click on the comment tab below and write to me. Don’t forget to leave your contact details. Thanks!

Comments

devashish said…
Good one again. Since i was out of mumbai for about 5 yrs, i want to share with u. its not mumbai but many parts of india where bikers, truck drivers and bus drivers do not have any kind of either driving sense or parking sense. u can add this in your blog.anyway i was driving yesterday back home on my bike. there was bike just ahead of me. i suddenly happen to notice the tyres they broader than usual. then i happened to look at this guy. what a sweet person. he was definetly younger than me, but he was driving his bike not more than what i could guess 30 kmph. i tried that and driving was much more peaceful and loving.
It is difficult also as we are not used to driving that slow in mumbai. Bye Happy Blogging

Popular posts from this blog

Salutations to Whistleblowers in today's vicious world

Go lush green…Go Mahabaleshwar

Paul Almighty